Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Useless Knowledge: Blue Foods

My better half and I went out with a friend last night and during the course of our random conversations our friend said, "Don't eat blue foods." Apparently he had a math teacher that advised his class to never eat naturally blue foods, but didn't explain why. It got me to thinking, what foods are blue? And why shouldn't you eat them? The only blue food I could think of was blueberries, which our friend argued aren't blue, they're purple. I went on a mission to discover blue foods and why you shouldn't eat them. Here's what I found:

Blue Foods

Blueberries (though they have a purple tinge)
Blue Corn
Blue Lobster (thought the meat turns red when you cook it)
Blue Crayfish (though they're normally kept as pets)
Blue grapes
Blue rosemary flowers
Blabar (kind of like a blueberry in that some have a purple tint)
Starflowers
Prunus Spinosa
Blue potato (again a little purple but mostly blue)
Blue Cup Fungi (not sure if this should be on the list because all I found was that it was probably edible)
Butterfly blue peas


And the reason the math teacher said not to eat blue food? Because it's an evolutionary instinct to avoid blue things in nature since they're usually poisonous...

But so are red things, and yellow things, and orange things, and we eat a bunch of those...hmm. Another unsolved mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment