Friday, May 18, 2012

Short Stories

Years ago I used to dabble with sending out a short story here and there for publication. I didn't really submit too much because I hated waiting for six months or more to hear back from a magazine to find out if the editor liked my story or not. It was especially irritating when after eight months of checking the mail I'd get a ripped and stained Return to Sender envelope because the magazine had either moved or gone out of business. I'm not a patient person, and so due to incredibly long wait times I think I only submitted two stories, and between the two maybe sent them out a half a dozen times if that.

One such story I only sent out twice before it actually got published. After that I just stopped doing it because I was on to serious novel writing, and of course between working full time, going to school full time, and writing a book, that left little time for much else, and so short story writing came to a halt.

For a few years after I wrote my first full length novel DECEPTIONS, I pretty much stopped writing. Here and there I'd write a short story or two, but not on a regular basis. At the beginning of this year I did pick up writing again, and now that school is over (at least until summer school starts in two weeks) I have a little more free time and thought I'd start submitting some shorties again.

I did find my old short story I had published, called "Dangerous Curves" (no, its not a story about a sexy lady) and put it under my new short stories tab. This was originally accepted for publication when I was in my late teens, so it's been years since I've actually looked at it. I did pull it out a few days ago when dusting off my pile of shorties and was really impressed by how much I liked it. When this was accepted for publication, I had cut out so much of the story before it got picked up that I thought no one would want it since at the time I thought it wasn't very good. But after reading it last week I discovered it was really good, that it was a cool story with very good writing. This one is published under my full name, so don't let that throw you off when you go to read it. And I highly recommend yo uread it because it is quite good.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the story, and I look forward to filling in my short story section in the near future, although most magazines move at the rate of molasses in winter time so I expect it will be a while before I have more to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment