Wednesday, September 12, 2012

And you wonder why we don't like you...

So I was going through the oh-so-fun task of sorting the mail the other day and saw a letter from our Home Owners Association. Normally I toss these aside because I want to save reading them for those special days when I have absolutely nothing better to do than waste my time with nonsensical things, but I was curious as to why they were sending me a letter since our yard is up to code and I had paid them our fees several months in advance.

What do you know, they had sent me a notice. But not just any old notice they like to give you about bringing in your trash at 5:07 pm on Wednesday because it's supposed to be brought in by 5:00 pm (and we all know if we bring in our trash a few minutes after 5 because we actually have something to do with our lives, like work, that drug dealers and thieves will be swarming so thick in the streets they'll block out the sunlight and children will become drunkards that roam the in the night breaking windows and spraying graffiti on the walls. That few minute time lag could really bring down the neighborhood within a matter of seconds, you know). No, it wasn't one of those very important letters, it was a delinquency notice.

Yes, we're delinquents.

Our account was delinquent by such an outrageous amount of money they had to contact us immediately to let us know that if we didn't pay them the huge debt we owe it could lead to legal repercussions.

It was for six dollars. Yeah. $6.00.

I don't even have anything to say about that, but at this point I don't think I need to.

Don't get me wrong, I think HOAs can be a great thing. I really think they do help keep a neighborhood looking clean and nice, and some of the park and playground areas in our neighborhood are just fantastic, all thanks to the HOA (not our HOA though, we have a dead patch of grass which serves as our park and it's usually chocked with weeds, though they have made minor improvements over the last month). So I believe they are a really valuable thing that more communities should have because when run properly, they really do make a difference in creating a better neighborhood.

But, they also get a little, well...ridiculous sometimes...

Six dollars...psh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment